When it comes time to move in Austin, here are some tips that will help get you by.
Moving can be a stressful time. You are excited about moving into your new place, but you may not be apprehensive about the move itself. Organization becomes your best friend if you are considering a DIY move.
1) Set up childcare. Whether it is a family member or someone you hire for the move, having childcare in place is a must while you are moving back and forth between the old home and the new home. It’s impossible to move those heavy boxes with kiddos wrapped around your ankle.
2) Set up meals ahead of the move. Just like childcare, meals are the last thing you want to think about when making a move. Prepare meals ahead of time to keep at the new place that can easily be warmed up.
3) Throw out the items you no longer need. There is no doubt you will come across things during packing that you have forgotten about, no longer use, or simply don’t have the room for. Donate these items to a local charity or have a garage sale and make money toward moving costs.
4) Take inventory of your belongings. Now that you have gone through and thrown out what you don’t need, it’s beneficial to make an inventory list to ensure your belongings make it to your new place. Check each item off the list as it is packed up. Your inventory list is also useful for home insurance.
5) Pack items that you don’t need access to.Toiletries, clothes, and such important electronics should be packed in overnight bags and separate from what is going into the moving truck. It is important to pack by the room. For instance, you want to avoid packing pots and pans with the kid’s room.
6) Label each box accordingly. Ensure everything is labeled somehow, whether marker or labels, for easier unpacking. It will also be useful for the movers to place the boxes in the appropriate room, eliminating the huge pile of boxes in the new place could take even longer to unpack because you have to figure out where it all goes.
7) Use plastic tote boxes to pack. Cardboard boxes can be ruined during a move and it’s almost guaranteed that not everything will get unpacked immediately upon move in. Plastic bins will be the way to go when staying organized. Purchase the totes with lids, pack seasonal items such as decorations, clothing, and so on, and then stack them in the garage without worrying about weather elements ruining anything.
Make your move. By using these organization tips during your move, you can save time, money and the additional headache. It will all be worth it once you’re settled in and the pride of moving yourself is priceless.